Welcome to Class 2G
Hello, I’m Mrs Donnelly,
I’ll be looking after your
for the next academic year.
Class 2G curriculum
Our topic question this term is
“Why is the WII more fun than Grandma and Grandads old toys?”
This term we will be looking at toys from the past and how they have evolved over time. We will be looking at ‘Toy story’ and deciding which toy we would be and why. We will be designing and making a moving toy.
- Retell the story of Jairus’ Daughter, Ten Lepers, Feeding of the 5000
- Use religious words to describe signs and symbols of Lent
- Describe some ways that people can act in Lent
- Discuss Jesus’ feelings towards the Ten Lepers
- Be able to give reasons to be Thankful
- Retell the story of the last supper
- Describe the signs and symbols of the Mass
- Respond to questions about giving and receiving.
- Write a set of instructions
- Write a recount
- Write a diary entry
- Write some Interview questions for our grandparents
- Write a letter
In this unit children will learn about keeping safe at home and at school. They learn about the role of medicines and how they can be harmful if not used properly. They also learn that household products can be harmful if not used properly and learn about ways to keep safe around them. They practise asking for help with situations they are unsure about.
- Know the place value of 2 and 3 digit numbers
- Know our number bonds to 10 and 20.
- Compare and order numbers to 100. Use < and >
- Add and subtract 1 and 2 digit numbers
- Recognise and name 2D and 3D shapes
- Count in steps of 2, 3 and 5
- Use multiplication and division facts for 2, 5 and 10 multiplication tables
- Recognise odd and even numbers
- Recognise, find, name and write fractions, 1/3, 1/4, 2/4 and 3/4
- Use mathematical vocabulary to describe position, direction and movement
- To tell the time to 5 minutes including quarter past and quarter to
- Construct pictograms, tally charts, block diagrams and simple tables and ask and answer questions about them
- Problem solving will be included in ALL areas of numeracy
- Classify and identify different animals
- Look at growth and basic needs of humans, animals and plants
- Identify different body parts
- Look at similarities and differences between animals that live in warm and cold climates.
- Look at online safety and the importance of it
- Look at spreadsheets and how they are used
For all of the above we will be looking at specific sentence structure and the features we need to use in order to be able to write each one.
- Listen to different environment noises and sort them according to their particular sound
- Use a variety of different percussion instruments to represent the sound of the environment.
The children will need to continue to practise their spellings and timetables on a weekly basis. Spellings will be sent home to learn on a Friday and your child will be tested on the following Friday morning.
Homework will be either a piece of Maths or English, Homework will continue to be sent out on a Friday to be returned on or before the following Wednesday. It will build on what the children have been learning about in class.
Thank you for your continued support with reading. Please continue to send your child’s reading book on their reading day. Please remember to write in your child’s reading record to acknowledge you have listened to your child read. It is very important to check your child understands when reading. This can be achieved through some simple comprehension questions such as ‘Which character did…?’, ‘What do you think will happen next?’, ‘What do you think about…?’ etc. Please also remember you can also access Bug Club.
In Year 2 this Autumn Term we are visiting the Emergency services fire station in Sheffield to bring the Great Fire of London to life. This is very exciting and a good educational experience where we can develop our knowledge and learning (details to follow). Please see Year 2 teachers or Mrs Watt regarding any problems/payment.
Our Class Blog
What happens in our class? have a look at all the blog post direct from the classroom.
This is the first time this trip has been done. We were very excited. During the day we were able to look at a lot of equipment and trucks and make comparisons to our fire services today. We had a workshop where we tried real outfits on. We had to decide if they...
Today, as part of our music curriculum we recreated the storm from Noah and the Ark. We started with a song to describe the rain and then Mrs Greenwell read a short story to set the scene. We then had to use our instruments to recreate the storm. Some of us used...
2019-01-08 Dear Parents - EYU (Red Group) + Yrs 1 & 2 - Bush Craft lessons
2018-12-20 Dear Parents - Parent Learning, Yr 2 Preparing for SATs
2018-12-14 Dear Parents - KSI Yrs 1 - 2 After School Archery Club
Keep up to date with events at
- Reading / Phonics
- Maths Meeting / Handwriting
- KS1 Worship
- Maths Meeting / Handwriting
- Celebration Assembly
- Prayer Journaling / Spelling
- Timetables / Jungle Maths
- Golden Time/Assembly