Safeguarding – Everyone’s Responsibility
At St Paulinus, all staff treat the safeguarding of pupils as upmost priority, by ensuring they take safeguarding duties seriously and promote the well-being of all our children by:
- Ensuring a safe learning environment for all children.
- Promoting a shared responsible for the well-being of children.
- Developing and implementing robust measures to help us identify and report any safeguarding concerns.
- Working with other agencies and partners to support children and families.
- Keeping updated and well informed to help raise awareness and understanding of Child Protection issues.
- Promoting an awareness and understanding of how children can keep themselves safe.
Safeguarding and promoting the well-being of children is defined as:
- Protecting children from maltreatment.
- Preventing impairment of children’s health or development.
- Ensuring that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care.
- Early intervention from professionals to enable all children to have the best possible outcomes.
If you are worried, or have concerns regarding the safety or well-being of a child, please contact one of our Designated Child Protection Officers, above, on:
01924 488 282, or contact Social Care Direct on:
We are an Operation Encompass School
What is Operation Encompass?
Operation Encompass is a partnership between police and schools, a school can only join if the local police force has already joined Operation Encompass. However Key Adults are welcome to access the Key Adult Training even if they are not part of Operation Encompass
One of the principles of Operation Encompass is that all incidents of domestic abuse are shared with schools, not just those where an offence can be identified.
Every school appoints a trained Key Adult – the Key Adult is the person who receives information about police attended Domestic Abuse incidents. At St Paulinus our Key Adult is our Designated Safeguarding Leads.
The Key Adult will be notified prior to the start of the next school day that the police have attended an incident of domestic abuse. This timely information sharing enables appropriate support to be provided for that child so that all interactions, from when the child first arrives at the school gates, are of a positive nature.
Operation Encompass is an integral component in child safeguarding and protection policies and, as such, cited in the school’s Safeguarding and Child Protection policies. Participation in Operation Encompass mandates a secure record-keeping trail, which may be electronic or paper based. Within Operation Encompass all records are managed at Child Protection level with the highest level of security and confidentiality, and in full accordance with GDPR. These records are held by police and schools only. Operation Encompass does not hold the records and never has access to these records.