Class 5SC curriculum
Art – As artists we will:
- Share ideas about painting techniques and paint materials
- Discuss our work and produce work in response to well-known artists.
- Organise and combine visual and tactile qualities of materials and develop explorations, ideas and
responses in our work.
- Compare and comment on ideas, methods and
approaches in our own and others’ work.
Computing – We will:
- Creating games as game creators.
- 3D modelling.
- Investigating concept maps.
Design Technology – As designers we will be investigating and creating structures. We will:
- Carry out research into user needs and existing
products, using surveys, interviews, questionnaires and web-based resources.
- Understand how to strengthen, stiffen and reinforce 3-D framework structures.
English – As writers and communicators we will :
- Write a character profile.
- an invitation to a feast.
- Write a job advertisement / wanted posters.
- Letter writing – Beowulf to home.
- Recount of the feast in mead-hall.
- Explanation text writing – how to kill a monster.
- To create a map from detail in text place.
French – As linguists we will be learning about ‘le retour du printemps’ meaning the return of spring and finishing the year with ‘les planètes ’ meaning the planets.
Geography: The Globe. We will:
- Identify the position and significance of the equator and hemispheres.
- Identify the position of the Arctic and Antarctic Circles and consider what life might be like in these regions.
- Identify the position and significance of latitude and longitude.
- Begin to identify the position of time zones.
- Learn the names of and locate some of the world’s deserts and describe what that environment is like.
History – As historians we will study the struggle
between the Vikings and Anglo-Saxons for the Kingdom of England learning, specifically about:
- Where the Vikings originated from and show this on a map.
- The importance of travel and how this developed the civilisation / us today?
- That the Vikings and Anglo-Saxons were often in conflict.
- Why the Vikings frequently won battles against the Anglo-Saxons.
- Links will also be made with English (carrying out research), Design Technology (designing/making a longboat, design and make a Viking style meal).
Mathematics – As mathematicians we will be:
- Converting units of measure.
- Calculating with whole numbers and decimals.
- 2-D and 3-D shape.
- Estimate and calculating volume.
- Problem solving.
Music – This term our music is focused around ‘Dancing In The Street’ by Martha And The Vandellas as well as consolidating everything we have learnt this year.
P.E. – As athletes we will:
- Play net and field games.
- Carry out athletics to prepare for our sports day.
- Improve our swimming technique and water confidence
R.E. – As theologians we will:
Life in the Risen Jesus
- Understand that Jesus is risen from the dead.
- Learn that Jesus is present among us in different ways.
- Learn that there are different ways of praying.
- Reflect on Jesus’ teaching and example on prayer.
- Learn how to pray the Rosary.
The Transforming Spirit :
- Know about the Ascension.
- Understand what happened at Pentecost.
- Understand how the Holy Spirit worked through the Apostles.
- Understand that the popes are successors of St. Peter.
RPSHE – As we are continuing to develop we will:
- Learn about the importance of mobile phone safety.
- Learn about how we will grow and change.
- Learn about what jobs we will like.
Science – We will be learning about the planets in our Solar System and forces. We will:
- Be using Mathematics to model the dimensions of our solar system.
- Be describing the movement of the earth and moon relative to the sun in our solar system.
- Be identifying evidence that has been used to support a theory.
- Be describing the movement of the moon relative to the earth.
- Be using simple models to explain scientific areas, such as day and night.
- Be explaining some of the effect of gravity.
- Be planning, carrying out and explaining a fair test to find out how well different objects fall.
- Be observing a variety of forces that slow things down.
Our Class Blog
What happens in our class? have a look at all the blog post direct from the classroom.
As part of their French lesson, year 5 children have practiced retelling the story by enacting it. Jack et sa maman habitent une maison. Ils sont pauvres. La maman de Jack avait une vache et a demander à son filsd'aller vendre au marché. En chemin Jack rencontre...
Yr 5 Chinese New Year Celebration (10 Feb)
As the calendar year for 2019 draws to an end we hope you have a happy and holy Christmas. Here are the Christmas production highlights for 2019 . https://vimeo.com/380447129 Key Stage One sing us out with their carol service ........... see you next year. ....
On the 15th of November, our local MP came and led an assembly where she shared with the children her love of reading. Her favourite book was the MagicFaraway Tree by Enid Blyton. The children were enthused by her and asked many questions. She then officially opened...
Throughout school we have some fantastic topics that we are looking into. Our topic displays are eye catching and show a variety of learning skills through History, Geography, Art and DT. After each lesson children’s work is displayed under the question that they have...
St Paulinus Primary School has launched its new library! The children enjoy their moment of escapism and take advantage to choose their own book and read or share a book with their friends. .
Keep up to date with events at
Need more information?
Get in touch, contact the school office.
- KS II Workshop
- Guided Reading
- PE (dance Studio)
- Guided Reading
- PE Outdoor
- Hymn Practice
- Spelling/ Library
- Guided Reading
- Maths Meeting
- Rainbow Maths
- Arithmetic Test
- Guided Reading